Mar 14th, 2019
Jake has not let blindness stop from achieving any of his goals. He is the co-founder and president of Engage. Jake has a truly incredible story that has been well chronicled and featured in just about every major media outlet. At 8 months old, he was diagnosed with a rare form of eye cancer, retinoblastoma. The disease claimed his left eye before the tender age of one and in November 2009 Jake lost his right eye after battling cancer for 12 years.
He attends the University of Southern California where he is a senior majoring in business. He played on the school’s football team as a long snapper, and during USC’s game against Western Michigan on September 2nd, 2017, Jake made history as the first completely blind player to ever play in a Division I football game. Jake has used his fame to inspire others and travels around the country as a motivational speaker. He is also a member of the President’s Council on Sports Fitness and Nutrition, has written two books, started his own charity, and golfs in the mid-70s.
- 3:57- Jake’s HINGE moment at just the age of 12.
- 6:26- The mindset Jake adapted to persevere.
- 9:06- How your worst day can end up being your most important.
- 11:08- Jake’s decision as a sophomore in high school that put him on his life path.
- 13:51- The call that would change Jake’s career.
- 15:51- The routine as a freshman football player at USC.
- 17:21- The first game snapping against Western Michigan.
- 19:54- “Not falling victim to the excuses”, Jake’s definition of Mental Toughness.
- 21: 55- Life since achieving his goal and being able to do what he loves.
- 23:10- The lives that Jake has touched by being himself and putting his story out there.
- 25:27- Jake’s love for golf and where his passion comes from.
- 28:04- How Jake connects people with experiences through his platform Engage.
- 30:38- The ability everyone has, to get them through tough times.
- 32:02- Jake’s faith that carried him through all his life’s obstacles.
Join The Mental Toughness Newsletter and TEXT DRROBBELL to 33444
ENTER MENTALTOUGHNESS for 15% off at SOS Rehydrate
ENTER DRROBBBELL at Getsom.com for 15% off.
If you enjoyed this episode on Mental Toughness, please subscribe on itunes and leave a review
Dr. Rob Bell