Mar 31st, 2022
Scott Lindgren changed the sport of kayaking in the 90's and is a member of the International Whitewater Hall of Fame. He’s made 50 first descents all around the world. His documentary on kayaking from the Andes to the Amazon received an Emmy award, and he is "The River Runner" in the new Netflix documentary.
- 3:59 The internet says he’s dead.
- 7:30 Growing up in the “armpit of California.”
- 9:50 From weakness to annihilation.
- 11:28 The “downstream mentality.”
- 12:34 When he found the river.
- 16:10 Kayaking is a minimum 10 year investment.
- 20:27 Emotional instability doesn’t work.
- 24:24 Successful on the river, but what about with someone you love?
- 27:10 Seeing a teammate at their core.
- 31:00 Paddling 250 days a year.
- 33:33 “If you’ve gotta feed it, you don’t need it.”
- 35:10 Focused on the mission and missing the metaphor.
- 37:45 “It’s a kid’s game.”
- 44:30 Militia and hippos.
- 48:48 3 months turned into 8 years.
- 56:03 “I spent my entire life not being weak.”
- 57:00 Self-inflicted isolation.
- 58:17 First Descents: Adventure for healing.
- 1:01:20 Showing up with your heart.
- 1:05:34 The biggest hinge moment: A choice between two events.
- 1:07:17 Overcoming negative love patterns.
- 1:11:19 “I gave myself a 5 percent chance.”
- 1:18:02 Falling back like butter on bread.
- 1:24:20 Part of being a hardened criminal.
- 1:26:33 The accomplishment is the journey.
- 1:28:21 Value in connection and experience.
- 1:30:12 No longer believing in negative change.
- 1:34:37 Surrendering to the flow of life.
- 1:37:23 When nature and community bring healing.
First Descents: https://firstdescents.org
The River Runner on Netflix: https://www.netflix.com/title/81457001
Download The Best Mental Toughness Quotes That Will Make You BETTER
If you enjoyed this episode on Mental Toughness, please subscribe and leave a review!
Dr. Rob Bell